Vietnamese boy trapped in 35-metre concrete pillar dies

A 10-year-old Vietnamese boy who fell into the narrow open shaft of a concrete pillar at a construction site on New Year’s Eve has been confirmed dead, state media said on Wednesday.

Rescuers spent nearly 100 hours trying to free Ly Hao Nam from the 35-metre-long support pillar driven into the ground, but without success, online newspaper VnExpress cited a local government official as saying.

“The authorities have determined that the victim has died and are trying to recover his body for the funeral,” the deputy chair of the southern province of Dong Thap, Doan Tan Buu, was quoted as saying.

The boy was heard crying for help shortly after he fell into the hollow concrete pile, which has a diameter of 25cm, on Saturday at a bridge construction site in the Mekong delta province where he had been searching with friends for scrap iron.

Earlier on Wednesday, the Vietnamese prime minister, Pham Minh Chinh, had urged the rescuers and local authorities to mobilise all equipment and forces needed, the government said.

World Opinions + Agencies

ميادين | مرآة المجتمع، ملفات، تحليلات، آراء وافكار و رسائل لصناع القرار.. صوت من لا صوت له | الإعلام البديل

Check Also

France : une centaine de migrants, dont de nombreux enfants, empêchés in extremis de traverser la Manche

La police française a empêché mercredi le départ en mer d'une centaine de migrants qui s'apprêtaient à traverser la Manche pour tenter de rallier l'Angleterre depuis Sangatte. L'eau est actuellement à 9 degrés. Cette opération intervient quatre jours après un naufrage meurtrier au large de Wimereux, non loin de là.

Laisser un commentaire

Votre adresse e-mail ne sera pas publiée. Les champs obligatoires sont indiqués avec *

Résoudre : *
1 + 21 =